One of the ingredients in this recipe is Better than Bouillon Ham Base. I used to find it in my local grocery store, but now I have to order on Amazon. It gives the soup a subtle smoky flavor.
Don’t throw away your spring onion bulbs! Check out this post on how to re-grow green onions!
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 ½ cups Oreida Hash Browns (like shoestring potatoes; southern style)
- ⅓ cup real bacon bits + more for serving
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese + ¼ cup for serving
- 1 teaspoon
- Better than Bouillon Ham Base
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions for serving
- SAUTE onion in oil.
- MIX chicken broth, soup and bacon bits in large saucepan.
- Stir in hash browns. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 min., stirring frequently until potatoes are cooked.
- Add milk, then add 2 cups cheddar cheese.
- Heat until cheese is melted. (I don’t bring to boil after cheese is added).
- Add bouillon and taste. Add more until you have your desired salt level. This will depend on how salty your bacon bits and broth were.
- To serve, TOP evenly with the cheese, bacon and green onions.