Doggy Treats! My younger daughter was inspired to do something special for our dog Summer for Christmas. She made this recipe and cut the treats out with a candy cane cookie cutter. Our Maltese is an oddly picky eater. She won’t eat a Goldfish Cracker or a pretzel off the floor, but she LOVES tomatoes, watermelon and grapefruit. I am surprised at how much our dog LOVES this recipe! One of her favorite treats ever!
Here’s something I wrote about our puppy a few years ago, the first night she came home to live with us. She had me up all night, so I saved this note on my phone about that night’s shenanigans:
Sweet Summer, I love you tons already. I am writing this at 5 a.m. as I am officially calling 4 a.m. playtime over. No, you cannot eat my phone, lick daddy’s ears or sleep across his neck. No, you cannot explore under my bed or eat the Skittle you found. No chewing on my hair or my fingers. You should not walk on my nightstand and fall down between it and the wall requiring urgent rescue. Here, chew on your bacon flavored bone. Yes, you can sleep between daddy’s feet, I guess.
So here’s the recipe that she’s absolutely crazy about! I have to say that I LOVE the measuring spoons that are in this picture! It’s a set of five measuring spoons that nest together and they are magnetic. Click here to find out where to get them. Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no cost to my readers.
Here is a link to my silicone baking sheets.
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ⅝ cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix to combine.
- Transfer to countertop and knead dough for a few minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes to become firmer
- Roll out to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut with your favorite cookie cutter and
- place onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or place onto a silicone baking sheet on top of a regular baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store refrigerated in a Ziploc bag.