This easy 5 Minute Microwave Quiche is a great option for a quick breakfast or a simple dinner. Adjust the ingredients to suit your taste or for whatever you have on-hand!
5 Minute Microwave Quiche
How many recipes do you have in your recipe box that can be prepped in just 5 minutes and can be easily customized for every person in your family? This is a quick go-to meal that is packed with protein. You could even prep it as a buffet-style line where everyone can add their own ingredients and head over to the microwave to cook their quiche. I have to admit that this 5 Minute Microwave Quiche is a staple for a quick meal, but I do enjoy making this as a full, pie-sized quiche, recipe at Crustless Breakfast Quiche.
Since most people have access to a microwave at work, this makes an awesome breakfast to eat at your desk. In the pictures, I’ve used a half-pint, wide-mouth canning jar (8 oz) for the recipe. Just add the ingredients to the jar except for the toast. You can keep it in a separate baggie until you’re ready to microwave your quiche. Check out my other DIY Lean Cuisine recipes that are great microwave work meals, Sun-Dried Tomato and Pesto Pasta and Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Soup.
This is such an easy recipe, but I should mention that it is very important that your microwave-safe dish is tall enough to allow the egg to expand while cooking. The eggs reach just over the top of the wide-mouthed jar while it is cooking in the microwave, then settle as it cools down. A coffee mug would be a good choice for this recipe.
TIME SAVERS FOR BUSY FAMILIES
If you’re a busy mom like me, you really should check out the rest of my website! I post recipes and products that save time for my busy family, like my favorite kitchen gadgets. Be sure to subscribe to my page to get new time-saving recipes and ideas in your inbox!
Here are a few of my posts: Easy Pressure Cooker Ranch Pork Tenderloin, made with just 3 ingredients! Reverse Seared New York Strip Steak (never over-cook your steak again, seriously!). One of my most popular recipes is this Copycat Olive Garden Braised Beef and Tortelloni. Also, here’s a helpful Acne Product Review for Proactiv vs. Curology and which one works best for my older daughter.
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon diced ham
- 1 teaspoon sliced chives
- pinch of garlic powder (1/8 teaspoon)
- pinch of onion powder (1/8 teaspoon)
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (1 ounce)
- half of a slice of toasted sandwich bread
- Coat the inside of a microwave safe dish (see notes) with cooking spray
- Combine the egg and milk and whisk together
- Add the ham, chives, garlic powder, onion powder and cheese
- Mix well
- Tear toast into small pieces, add to quiche and stir
- Cook 30 seconds in microwave on high.
- Remove from microwave and stir
- Cook 40 seconds to one minute more on high
- Stir. It's ok if the eggs are slightly liquid in the middle at this point, they will continue to cook as you mix the hot edges into the rest of the eggs
- (Microwave oven cooking times will vary)
The eggs will rise up the sides of the cooking dish, so be sure to choose a dish that has enough height to allow for this.